wrfout_to_cf.ncl - Release Notes
An NCL based script to create new CF
based NetCDF files from native wrfout NetCDF files.
- August 17, 2021 (bugfix for NCL v6.6.2):
- September 17, 2016 (contributions from Alice DuVivier):
- In using NCL v6.6.2, a totype warning occurs whenever
one of the outPressure variables is created.
- It appears that this warning is related to a new
function: wrf_user_interp_level which among other things
replaces wrf_user_intrp3d. It appears that as a part of
the deprecation of wrf_user_intrp3d, the error/bug involving
totype was introduced.
- Because of the dichotomy with wrf_user_intrp3d having a
warning issue in v6.6.2, and wrf_user_interp_level only
available v6.6.0 and later, the fix is a bit of a hack in
that it needs to be applied only to v6.6.0 and later using
the get_ncl_version function.
- January 14, 2015 (contributions from Melissa Nigro):
- Added the precipitation variables: precip_sh, snow_g, and graupel_g.
- Added the variable z0 for roughness length.
- Added the variable PW to go along with IWP and LWP.
- Added variables for low, middle, and high IWP, LWP, and PW.
Note: This requires setting the new variables cld_low, cld_mid,
and cld_high to define the low, middle, and high levels.
- Added an additional method to claculate slp (slp_c).
- Added the setting var_type, which is used to set the
variable types whenever creating a new variable or calculation.
Note: This var_type should match the variable type in wrfout.
- Fixed a bug where variables used in calculations were
written to the output file when not selected to be included.
- Fixed a bug with OutDateTime.
- November 15, 2012:
- A minor update to fix some bugs in working with NetCDF4
- Changed the reading of WRF variables from stripping the
attributes when reading to reading the variable as a whole
and then using delete_VarAtts
- Also added an option to setfileoption to NetCDF4Classic
1.2.2 - May 24, 2011 (Matt
The 2.0.0 release marked a significant new release. Many
of the changes and additions led by Matt Higgins were
incorporated in a new and revamped method for consistency with
the overall code. Beyond the changes and additions from
Matt's work, the entire script was extensively reorganized to
provide a simpler construction to the code allowing users to
more easily follow what is being done within the script.
Some new variables were added and some variables were updated
from the work completed by Matt. An additional significant
change is that several variables were renamed. The
renaming was done as the number of included variables resulted
in some variable name conflicts. To avoid the conflicts,
several variables were renamed to follow more general community
- Re-naming mixing ratios: all mixing ratio variables
were renamed from q to r_
- The variable q is now assigned to specific humidity at all
levels (q_2m, q_e, q_p).
- All measures of moisture (Td, RH, r_v, q) are available at
2m, eta, and pressure levels.
- Added winds rotated to true earth coordinates at 2m, eta,
and pressure levels.
- Added wind direction (earth) and wind speed at 2m, eta,
and pressure levels.
- Added potential vorticity and absolute vorticity on eta
and pressure levels.
- Changed several variable names to more simple forms (e.g.
SHFlx and LHFlx to SH and LH)
- Added a CLWRF section of a selection of CLWRF variables
(see variables page).
- added output for density at the lowest model level
- added output for SR, the fraction of non-convective frozen
1.2.1 - April 12, 2011 (Matt Higgins):
1.2.0 - April 1, 2011 (Matt
- more CORDEX updates
- added the support for accumulated radiation fluxes at the
surface (only applicable with some radiation schemes)
- this script does not de-cumulate, as a delta time is not
assumed (not sure what this means)
- a rather substantial update was completed to help support
- additional support was provided from Dave Porter and
- added rotated winds to earth coordinates (10m, pressure,
- added specific humidity (2m, pressure, eta levels)
- added wind speed (10m)
- added variables: PBL height, dry air mass, surface
evaporation, surface runoff, subsurface runoff
1.1.5 - July 12, 2010 (Matt Higgins):
- added shortwave and longwave up from the surface
- never fully released:
- fixed big with UTC date variable type conversion
- added the field XICE as a secondary wrfout variable for
- added the calculation of gird and cumulus precip in 6-hour
intervals - never fully implemented
- TODO - needs to be finalized
1.1.3 - March 25, 2009:
- incorporating missing values for pressure level variables
(_p) (contributed by Petteri Uotila)
- added the calculation of the variables IWP and LWP
- October 31, 2008:
- added more comment to identify the different fields and
sections of the script
- added a new method to calculate slp, referred to as slp_b
1.1.1 - August 1, 2008:
1.1.0 - May 21, 2008:
- fixed a mistake by adding the general parameters (e.g.
outEtat) to additional flags in determining the output
1.0.1 - May 6, 2008
- change the input to use the (/.../) designation to strip
all attributes/coordinates from the input variables
- added sub-procedure to add basic attributes
- re-ordered the attributes for each variable
- added the output category variables (e.g. out2dMet,
outPressure, etc.) to handle a number of variables at once
- add the ability for a user to select the variables that
they want processed/outputted
- add if-then-endif for all output variables
1.0 - May 2, 2008 - original
- several minor changes including the handling of lat/lon to
make the output CF compliant